I love soup, but often they are rather heavy and ladened with milk and cream. Here is a delicious and super simple dairy free version that is still full of flavour. Enjoy!
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 5 cloves garlic, 4 cloves for the soup; 1 clove for the croutons
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ Litre vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped in half
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon thyme, (for the croutons)
- 3 slices gluten free bread, cut into rough cubes (for the croutons)
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Place the cauliflower and garlic onto a baking tray, drizzle with oil, season and mix well. Place in the oven for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil in a large pan. Add the onion and bay leaves, cover and turn down to a gentle simmer.
- For the croutons, use a stick blender to whizz up the thyme leaves, garlic and oil. Add this to a bowl with the bread and use your hands to coat the cubes.
- In a non-stick frying pan, fry the croutons on a high heat, tossing all the time so they don’t burn. Once golden in colour, remove and set aside.
- When the garlic and cauliflower are cooked, remove from the oven and add to the stock. Cook for 5 mins.
- Remove from the heat and take out the onion halves and bay leaves. Using a stick blender, whizz the soup to a smooth consistency, seasoning to taste. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, the croutons and a few extra thyme leaves.