Delicious Lemony Kale and White Bean Soup
This is one of my fave comfort soups so I've had to share it here for you all. The recipe is by Fort Knife Swoon and if you haven't check them out please do. They are a huge source of inspiration for us and a great go to for healthy ideas. This soup is filling yet not so heavy, making it a simple and nutritious meal.
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 4 cups (32 oz) rich chicken or vegetable stock
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans cooked cannelini beans, drained (not rinsed)
- 1-1/2 cups (loosely-packed) kale (or sub. spinach or Swiss chard), removed from rough stems and torn into small pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent and just beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two. Add the butter, and as it melts, stir in the herbs. Let cook for another minute or two until the onions are lightly golden.
- Add the lemon juice followed by the stock and stir to combine. Cover, and bring the stock to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the white beans and torn kale leaves, and continue to simmer until warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. If using a more delicate green, such as spinach, add right before serving. Serve warm with crusty bread.